Programme notes for Leicester Game.
"A CLUB OF ONLYS"
Today we welcome our friends from the East Midlands, Leicester City F.C. I think of Leicester as a club of "onlys". Here are 10 "onlys" specific to LCFC.
1. They have only spent one season outside the top two divisions.
2. They are the only club to win the second tier championship 6 times. Only Man. City have won it more.
3. They are the only club to have reached the F.A. Cup final 4 times and lost all of them.
4. Despite never having won the F.A. Cup or the top tier league, they are one of only two clubs to have won the Charity Shield having not won the top 2 domestic competitions. They beat Liverpool in 1971, as double winners Arsenal were engaged in European competition.
5. They are the only club to supply an English World Cup winning goalkeeper, Gordon Banks.
6. They are the only team to have one the League Cup 3 times. Only 6 teams have won the League Cup more times.
7. LCFC are also the only club to have won the League Cup that many times but yet have never won the top league or FA Cup
8. Leicester are one of only 4 teams to have finished runners up in the top league of English football to Sheffield Wednesday. Leicester's highest finish in the top league was 2nd to us in 1928-29.
9. Exactly 80 years later Leicester won the 3rd tier of English football. This was the only occasion that they've won this championship and it was their lowest ever finish in the football hierarchy.
10. SWFC started off as The Wednesday and Leicester City started off as Leicester Fosse. Like Wednesday, Fosse is a unique name and Leicester are the only club to be associated with it. Let's hope today Leicester fall to only their 4th defeat of the season!
FACTS AND FIGURES.
I have always found "facts and figures" about Football Clubs compelling reading as you can see from the "only" stats I present about Leicester City. Naturally I have spent a lifetime studying the history, including the "facts, figures and statistics", of SWFC. There are lots of books available to learn about our Club and anybody interested in this hobby can have some fun by testing your knowledge with the new ultimate Sheffield Wednesday quiz book out by Andrew Clark, titled "Never Mind the Owls". Wednesdayite will be holding a competition to win a free copy of the book, using a question from it. See here for more details
Upcoming Away Coach Trip to Watford.
Date: 14/12/13 Members. £22 Non-Members £24.
Pick up schedule: Wednesdayite car park, leaving 9.45a.m.
Visit wednesday.com/coach to make a booking online and for further information.
There are currently some vacancies on the Wednesdayite Board so if you fancy applying or becoming a volunteer, please speak to a director at the Wednesdayite Lounge or at the Wednesday Carpark.
Enjoy the game,
Up the Owls,